Acupuncture is a type of medical procedure that many people feel can be of merit to their health, but they often avoid it due to a lack of knowledge about it. In the western world today, many people rely only on current medical technology, abandoning the ways of old. They should not be too hasty, however, as there are many things about acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine that can be helpful when it comes to helping to keep the body in good shape. In this article, we’ll relay some facts about acupuncture to try to take away some of the mystery surrounding it.
- When most people think of acupuncture, they think about someone sticking needles into various points on their body. However, thanks to the merging of modern day technology and the techniques of yesteryear, acupuncturists may work to activate acupuncture points on the body through several methods. Lasers are sometimes used to activate acupuncture points, as well as magnets, electrical currents, and even certain herbs.
- While acupuncture is a type of medical procedure, it has its roots in religion. Taoists found the acupuncture points by meditating and discovering where energy radiated throughout the human body.
- While acupuncture used to be performed only be people who were exclusively trained in the art, more and more medical physicians are realizing the benefits that acupuncture can offer and are becoming certified in acupuncture in order to treat their patients with the highest degree of care possible.
- Many people shy away from acupuncture because they fear that the needles will be too painful when they are inserted. What these people fail to realize, however, is that the stainless steel needles that are used in acupuncture are nothing like the needles that are used to draw blood or administer shots. Medical needles are wider in diameter, since they need to be hollow so that fluids can be injected into the body or blood can be taken out. For that reason, the insertion of an acupuncture needle is much less painful than getting a shot.
- While there are thousands of different points on the body which may be used in acupuncture, there are twelve main yin and yang points, which are located within the hands and the feet. These points can be activated in order to treat many different problems that the body may be having.
- In addition to treating physical symptoms that someone may be having, acupuncture can also be used in order to help to get over mental problems. Anxiety, stress, and drug detoxification can be eased by a visit to an acupuncturist.
- Most states within the United States provide certifications for those who wish to practice acupuncture, allowing you to ensure that the treatment that you will be receiving lives up to various board requirements.
Now that the process of acupuncture has become a little demystified to you, you are better suited to considering whether or not the procedure is the right thing to do for you.