The endurance or the ability to sustain work for prolonged periods is collectively known as aerobic fitness. Aerobic fitness in general can be experienced in the abilities to walk, run, climb uphill, swim etc. The elements of aerobic fitness can be found in almost all the forms of sports, work, recreational and military activities. It can be stated in general that any activity which doesn’t last for more then 12 minutes is not considered to be as fully aerobic. The term aerobic simply means that the oxygen necessary to accomplish the work is taken up by the individual during the activity. Thus any activity which raises our heart rate and keep it up for an extended period of time will necessarily improve our aerobic fitness. Aerobic fitness is mainly dependent upon the age, sex of an individual and it can be increased considerably by training. Aerobic fitness decreases with the increase in age in adulthood.
Importance of aerobic fitness
Aerobic fitness is purely related to health of a person. In a recent survey done in US it is reveled that around 800,000 people die every year from coronary artery disease which is considered as the number one killer in the United States. High cholesterol level, smoking, overweight, high blood pressure and diabetes are some of the risk factors for persons affected by coronary artery diseases. The related good effects of exercise can be listed as under:
* Considerable lowering of high blood pressure.
* Increase in the high density lipoprotein (HDL) in the blood which helps in the collection of the cholesterol in the blood and disposing it in the liver.
* A proportionate lowering of the plasma triglyceride levels (fatty substances).
* Effective assistance regarding weight control, mainly by reducing body fat.
* Improving the heart functions, by promoting beneficial changes in the structure and function of the coronary arteries which are responsible in providing oxygen to the heart muscle.
* Alleviating muscle pain to a large extent and improving walking capability in people suffering from peripheral arterial disease.
In this way with all the above mentioned advantages it can be concluded that the aerobic fitness of a person must be high in order to have the capability of having more strenuous physical activity which ultimately helps in maintaining a fit and healthy body.