Pets Can Be Burned Too!

Your beloved cat or dog can sustain a burn so it is important that pet owners be aware of this possibility and help to prevent this from happening to your cat or dog.

Possible causes of pet burns:

Burns can be caused by heat, chemical spills, electrical shocks, or radiation such as sunburn. Cats with white coats can get sunburned easily on their ear flaps. Cats can especially knock over hot liquids when dashing or jumping near a stove.

Chemical burns can occur when your pet comes into contact with gasoline, kerosene, or bleach.

Outdoor cats and dogs can easily receive burns to the pads of their paws by walking on hot tin roofs or on a tar road that has recently been surfaced with tar.

One area of special concern for cat owners is the hot stove. We all know that cats love to climb to high perches to survey their territory. Many owners fear that in trying to get to their high perch or when getting down, a cat may unintentionally jump onto a hot stovetop; this is especially true for electric stoves.

Although dogs are less likely than cats to come near to a heat source, dogs can accidentally come into contact with a heat source. Dogs can also be vehicular accident victims and sustain burns in this manner. Another method that is common in dog burn cases is when they chose to lie down on a surface to rest, and become comfortable without noticing just how hot the surface really is.

Unfortunately another way for pets to be burned is by intentional burning by an abusive owner or by a stranger when the dog or cat is outside. Abuse also happens when a pet sitter is caring for the dog or cat so owners should carefully screen and take references before hiring pet sitters.

You can try to determine the severity of your pet’s burn in the following manner:

A mild burn on your cat or dog will show as reddened skin that is tender to the touch and may have blistering.

Severe burns may have white color to the skin, the hair may pull out easily, and the pet may show signs of being in severe pain, or shock.

Treatment:

A burn to more than 25% of the animal’s body can quickly lead to shock. A small animal could easily have a burn that covers 25% of the body. To prevent shock from occurring, keep the cat or dog warm and seek medical care quickly. To keep your pet conscious in transport to the vet, apply Karo Syrup or Honey to its gums.

A mild burn can be treated at home by first clipping away any long hair from the burned area so that you can see the burn and treat it. Apply cool water and a mild soap to the affected skin. Dry the skin with a soft clean cloth, and then apply some Aloe Vera to the affected area 3 to 5 times each day until the burn heals. Never use cotton balls or cotton Q-Tips, as the cotton fibers will stick to the burn.

A serious burn may need time to heal as well as several treatment or stages of treatment before the cat or dog is well again.